Friday, June 3, 2011

Week Two

 This week has been awesome with the work!!! We have about five or six new investigators.(For those of you who aren't familiar with this LDS term. We refer to anyone who is interested in the church an "investigator" )There's a woman named Marina, she's from Honduras and she has two children Anna 11 and Luis 12. It's really awesome she had them come and sit with her for the lesson and they all participated!!! I think we are going to commit her and her children to be baptized on the next lesson! Then there's Susana, she's a friend of Hermana Berrueto and we asked her to be baptized on the first lesson and she said she'd pray about it. It was an amazing lesson she's from Mexico and she's a sweetheart. We showed up to our lesson with her and she'd forgotten and was in the middle of making tortillas so we asked if we could help so she showed us how to make the tortillas and it was really cool and easy, and of course she didn't measure anything. She sells them to all of the local women and many of them are in our ward. Susana said the trick was not to completely cook them so when the women heat them up they're completely done and their husbands and families think that they made them. When we were done she gave us two dozen tortillas and then we had the lesson and the spirit was so strong!!! We gave her the Book of Mormon, and talked to her about baptism she said she would read, but she didn't want to commit until she was completely sure this was the right church. She said that her home felt different when we were there!!! Then there's Guadalupe, but we haven't had a chance to meet with her again because her coworker is really sick and she's working crazy hours right now, but we call every couple of days to talk to her and check up on her. She's reading the Book of Mormon on her own and she says she's looking for a church. I want to commit her to be baptized because she's awesome and so ready! Then there's Mari, she's getting baptized on the 4th, we have a couple of more lessons with her, and we have to ask her husband for permission, which I'm a little worried about because the only reason my companion and I are teaching her is because her husband won't let her talk with other men. She lives in the Elder's area but if she wants to have the lessons she had to meet with sisters. So we have permission to meet with her. So we were a little worried what her husband will say when he finds out that a Elder has to baptize her.... pray that all goes well and that his heart will be softened. We're also teaching a part member family. We are also trying to get a lesson with two girls that we met one day when we were contacting a referral, their home life is a little upside down now but the girls are really sweet. One is 14 and the other is 8... Heather and Hazel has made some huge changes in their lives right now so I'm hoping they'll have a chance to meet with us again. We also taught this family Karen and Leider and they are really cool!!! They just had a new baby and they have a 4 year old son. We taught the first lesson, and gave them a Book of Mormon. Leider started reading right after we gave him the book, as we were finishing the lesson and he had a lot of questions and it was really good. I'm starting to get used to the area. It's kind of ghetto I'll be honest but the members are really nice and of course they love to feed the sisters. Thankfully after last week either the food is more normal or I'm getting used to it. I still have no tolerance for spicy food yet...but I now like pineapple, and melons and beans & rice and a lot of other things I wouldn't normally eat. I've got to say either the food is really good or I'm just hungry maybe it's a mixture of both but everything tastes good on the mission. They feed us a lot of food and like you sit down and they give you your plate and it's piled over, we were at this one appointment and she gave us 5 flautas and tons of rice and salad and I mean tons and my companion can just pack it in and I'm struggling to finish. Let's just say I'm thankful for a bike and that our area is so big because we spend more time riding our bikes than we do in the appointments. My trainer has leadership meetings all day on Tuesday and Wednesday so all of the greenies (new missionaries) are going to be paired up with each other because we have 5 trainers and 5 greenies here in Spanish land. Supposedly I'm going to be paired with Hermana Sorensen who is in Pasadena right now, but my trainer made appointments during that time she's gone so I have to be able to navigate my way there with another greenie!!! I don't know my way around yet so please pray that we don't get lost because there are very few people here who speak English because apparently in Texas English is optional at schools and you can choose whether you want to learn in English or Spanish... go figure. Although, everyone is really nice!  I'm getting to know the other missionaries much better here too. Apparently Elder Esplin and Mandernac, the other Elders in our ward ran into a man the other day that said the world was going to end this past Saturday and to beware of zombies and so we received tons of texts about zombie protection because as our district leader Elder Esplin said that he needed to make sure we were safe. Anyway there's a good camaraderie here, and I'll be here until the beginning of August if it works out like it usually does... I'll be here for about half of my mission! It's crazy to think it's been two and a half months!!! I love you all and miss everyone so much. 
Love, Hermana Dilzer


No comments:

Post a Comment