Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week 6 (June 20th)

So this week had been really good and thank you so much for all of your prayers for me because I really needed them. We had exchanges on Tuesday and they of course were amazing I learned a lot. Hnas Corbridge and Keele are amazing and they really helped me and boosted my confidence in things I'm struggling in. So little by little things are steadily getting better.We have a baptism coming up this Saturday!!!! Mariela is getting baptized. I'm so excited!!!! 
We had transfers today, so my companion and I are still in Broadway and if President Crawford (new mission President) keeps the pattern, I will be here for at least another two transfers, but Broadway 2 is the best ward in the mission, so I hope I get to stay for a while. 
Saturday the was the Father's Day party and I learned the true meaning of Spanish Time. So the poster said it started at 6, but apparently that's in hopes that people will all be there by 7pm, but they don't start the party until 8pm and then at around 8:15pm they start serving the food and then the entertainment and games don't start until 8:45pm and we go home at 9:15pm to get back in time, but apparently the party goes until after 11pm which is crazy and this is what apparently happens at every ward party in Broadway 2. The building has a stage and so they have actual entertainment. A few of the primary girls did a cultural dance, and the young women did some sort of lip synching thing, and then the relief society did a 50's type dance. And then they had games and competitions for the men and it was really funny. I took pictures and videos and I planned to upload them and send them to you, but I forgot my cable at the apartment so that will have to wait until next week.
 Guess what? For once in my life I have a noticeable tan! Go figure. I saw Hna Rivera when all of the Hnas met up for exchanges and she said that I looked good with a little color it makes me look a little more Mexican. Which by the way I am practically a giant here. I am taller than most of the people around here except for the other missionaries. 
The weather is hot and still no rain. We use the car more now because of the heat and it's easier to stay hydrated, but on cooler days when it's only like 80 degrees we stick to the bikes. 
So I ate a Jalapeno on Tuesday, it was a pickled one so it wasn't as bad, but it was still really spicy especially closer to the stem. I don't know why people eat just plain pickled jalapenos, they don't even have good flavor, they're kind of sour. Not my thing, but I am beginning to like salsa and I have the feeling that someday soon jars of salsa will taste like ketchup to me, but it's all good. 
We had a service project with Susana our investigator this week and we helped her make tortillas again. We did it on Friday morning before district meeting at 10am, but we were only able to finish cooking 13 dozen before we left and she had another 6 dozen left to make. It is a lot of tortillas. 
Overall things are pretty good here. They feed us well and although there are many foods such as tomatoes that I don't like, I have mastered the art of loving the members enough to finish pretty much everything on my plate at least until I'm too full to eat. I love you all and all of your letters. All my love!!!!
 
Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment